Monday, August 11, 2008

Getting behind, Coming around

We have been here, in AZ, since July 16th. It's been a while since I've written so there's lots of updating to do. We've made some changes in our master plan. (changes seem to come around every few days :)).
Ian and I are both working. He's gone back to Outback steakhouse where he worked prior to moving to Seattle, and I got a job at the Starbucks up the street (perhaps not the evil empire after all? At least not from an employee's perspective. They treat their staff amazingly well) but only half time as I'll be starting school soon.
Originally the plan was to work with Americorps, and I had some interviews lined up, but as Ian and I drove the 30 some hours from Seattle to Mesa we decided that perhaps it would be better to go ahead and start with the nursing program at MCC so that life could get on it's way (diagram that sentence ;)). As much as I would really love to work with Americorps (there are some invaluable opportunities out there!) at my core I want to get into school, learn how to help people in a lasting way that I can turn into a vocation. After I'm through the 2 year program (that will probably take more like 3 years because of pre-recs and waiting lists) I will work full time so Ian can have his turn at school.
For now, though, I start school on August 26th with the first Math class I've taken in some time as well as a Biology refresher. It will be interesting to go from being a creative writing major to dissecting a cat.

{For many of you who do not know and are still startled to hear that I am going into nursing--I wanted to be either a nurse or a pediatrician since I was 6 or 7 and got thrown off by a chemistry class in high school, it took me this long to climb back on that horse. I pursued creative writing and literature as a BA and still write as often as I can face the big bad blank white paper/screen. Depending on when you knew me best I contemplated teaching but in the end couldn't face the education system, thought about counseling but it felt too passive and though I firmly believe in psychological therapy, I need a career where I move around and where I can see both
emotional and physical results. So. back to square one and it really feels good.}

As far as our Burundi trip coming up summer 2009, there have been a few changes made. The "away team" has gone and come back to scout out Carama (the region of Burundi we are trying to aid) if you go here you can read the very engaging journal posts by our brilliant and indefatigable program director, Brock. Start from the bottom of the page and work your way up. It sounds like they had a very productive trip. I had a phone conference with the crew last week and there will be a GCJ picnic and meeting when we are in Seattle: August 20th-24th. I'll be able to post more concretely about the project then, but it looks like our water project is changing into an agriculture project. And as always if you go to the GCJ website you can donate to help Ian and myself get to burundi. any money at all is useful. More to come!

-Christine

No comments: